Saving the monk seals in Mauritania
The monk seal, a rare Mediterranean species, is in critical danger of extinction on a world-wide level. The CBD Habitat foundation, a Spanish association supported by the Petzl Foundation, protects the species and is monitoring the colony in Mauritania. These seals nest in the caves at the bottom of the steep cliffs of the Cap Blanc peninsular.
For the first time, in November 2011 a GPS prototype was installed on a male adult monk seal. The device was attached to the animal’s fins while it was asleep. This system will enable scientists to monitor its movements accurately, with up to 226 GPS readings in 64 days.
Using this tracking system, scientists have established the deep sea hunting routes of these seals and the various movements of the animals in the caves.
Zone of hunting has nearness of the coast
More information about the monk seal ? click here
- [10-18-13] Rescue services operational in Kalymnos!
- [09-11-13] The Petzl Foundation Supports the Alpine Near-Miss Survey
- [08-05-13] Working with Aron Ralston to protect Utah’s redrock desert canyons
- [07-19-13] The environment call for projects is launched!
- [11-27-12] Encourage respectful climbs in a major site: Piedra Parada
- [05-16-12] The Cochamo valley, a forgotten Yosemite
- [04-23-12] Saving the monk seals in Mauritania
- [12-21-11] Grimper dans les palmiers, un métier dangereux
- [12-20-11] Nepal: training future professional trek guides
- [05-23-11] Call for projects environment!
- [05-02-11] How to reduce accidents in the Gouter couloir?
- [03-29-11] Join the public Conservation Vote !
- [02-14-11] Ice Crystal, a scientific expedition into the heart of the waterfall
- [11-24-10] Results of the 2011 environment request for proposals!
- [07-30-10] Outdoor Industry Conservation Charity joins IUCN
- [06-29-10] Successful release of 3 Bearded vultures in the Vercors massif
- [05-21-10] Makay, the last Eden in flames
- [04-19-10] Saving Cochamo
- [02-05-10] Great success for symposium of the Bonelli's eagle
- [01-22-10] Petzl Foundation supports scientific explorations