Home › Environment › Projects
In 2003, climber, adventurer and wilderness advocate, Aron Ralston was trapped by a falling boulder in Utah’s remote Blue John Canyon. Today, Aron is committed to protecting the iconic climbing, canyoneering and outdoor adventure venues throughout Utah’s famous redrock desert.
In the heart of the Patagonian desert, in the Province of Chubut (Argentina), Piedra Parada, the "stone", rises like a monolith. Behind her, La Buitreta Canyon, 5 km long, high cliffs nearly 200 feet high, hosted the Petzl Roc Trip in November 2012.The development of a climbing area that respects the environment and the history of this exceptional site deserved to have the Petzl Foundation involved.
With its imposing granite cliff face standing a gigantic 700m tall, the Namuli, 2,419m, is the second highest mountain in Mozambique. The civil war and the difficulties involved in accessing it have made it one of the last unexplored mountains remaining in southern Africa. Its biodiversity is therefore still unknown to the scientific community.
The Rhône-Alpes region hosts 30 of the 34 species of French bats. Despite its lack of popularity, they are all protected species, including four main families that live underground. The CORA (Rhônes-Alpes Ornithological Center) works with cavers to raise awareness of the species. The Petzl foundation supports this cooperation which aims to improve our knowledge of caves while encouraging respectful behavior.
The Tsingy of Bemaraha offer one of the most spectacular sights on the Big Island. Here are real rock cathedrals of limestone sculpted into blades or sharp needles: in Malagasy, Tsingy means "where one can walk barefoot” ... Jean-Claude Dobrilla, who is a caver and explorer, has ventured inside these incredible structures. To help maintain parks in Madagascar, he has created the Antsika association, which means "together" in Malagasy. His goal is to help local people to make a living from their natural resources whilst preserving them.
- [10-18-13] Rescue services operational in Kalymnos!
- [09-11-13] The Petzl Foundation Supports the Alpine Near-Miss Survey
- [08-05-13] Working with Aron Ralston to protect Utah’s redrock desert canyons
- [07-19-13] The environment call for projects is launched!
- [11-27-12] Encourage respectful climbs in a major site: Piedra Parada
- [05-16-12] The Cochamo valley, a forgotten Yosemite
- [04-23-12] Saving the monk seals in Mauritania
- [12-21-11] Grimper dans les palmiers, un métier dangereux
- [12-20-11] Nepal: training future professional trek guides
- [05-23-11] Call for projects environment!
- [05-02-11] How to reduce accidents in the Gouter couloir?
- [03-29-11] Join the public Conservation Vote !
- [02-14-11] Ice Crystal, a scientific expedition into the heart of the waterfall
- [11-24-10] Results of the 2011 environment request for proposals!
- [07-30-10] Outdoor Industry Conservation Charity joins IUCN
- [06-29-10] Successful release of 3 Bearded vultures in the Vercors massif
- [05-21-10] Makay, the last Eden in flames
- [04-19-10] Saving Cochamo
- [02-05-10] Great success for symposium of the Bonelli's eagle
- [01-22-10] Petzl Foundation supports scientific explorations